A Road Less Traveled

by Korey Buchanek

The Last Day

Published by Korey Buchanek under on 7:31 AM
                                                                                                                    July 18, 2010

You know there had to be moments in scripture that we don’t fully grasp nor do we really even catch a glimpse of, but you know they were there in the backdrop of people’s lives. There were moments in time where great men and women of faith had to have their last day. We don’t see them or read about them and we really don’t have much understanding of the depth and grief that came along with them. However, I have no doubt that there was a bittersweet and even painful last day with many of the people we see in God’s Word. It was that last day spent with the people they loved before moving toward a deeper call in the relationship with their God.

I’m talking about a last day like Moses spent with his family or friends before heading to Egypt to convience the Pharaoh to let Yahweh’s people go. Or the last day Nehemiah had with his people of prayer before he left to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. There was a morning in which Joshua had to wake up and realize that today he would move through a difficult moment of leading God's people into the promise land all the while realizing it would be without the voice of his dear friend and leader, Moses. There are moments in scripture where people had to experience a last day in the life they knew or even loved before God could use them in His divine plan of redemption.

Can you begin to imagine the last morning Abraham had with his son before heading up the mountain toward a soon to be altar or Esther in her last day of fasting before having to approach the King uninvited; knowing it could have cost her everything, including her life? There had to be moments in the lives of these great people that mirrored my morning. I woke up around 5:30 with a deep sadness that today would be my last day of worship with people that have held my heart. It was like I got punched in the stomach realizing that this was really happening. I thought I understood the gravity of this season when I told our church family that the Lord was leading us to Hawaii. I was wrong. I thought the day the movers showed up to load the truck with all the boxes of stuff was the real kicker. Wrong again. I now realize it’s worship that has brought me together with these dear people. All along it's been the preaching of His Word that has bound my heart with His people. It’s spiritual you could say.

Now I’m not trying to compare the emotion or confliction that I have with leaving my ministry here in Denver, CO with these moments in scripture, but none-the-less this moment is real for me. Its days like today that force me to realize that there have been people long before me that have been called into deeper walks of faith who had to leave lives they loved behind. It’s realizing that in order to pursue the upward call of Christ we must be moving forward and that doesn’t always allow us to remain in the same places. That’s what makes being a Christian so hard. Faith and obedience calls us out of places of comfort. Our pursuit of our King calls us to walk in places of great unknowns. It’s what makes it simply hard at times to draw near to Him. The reality of it all is that being close to God is not only hard at times, it’s also painful.

Today we worship with some dear friends for the last time on this side of glory. It’s my last day and once again I don’t write for you the reader, I write for me. As badly as I want this day to be over at 7:30 in the morning I also want to remember how I felt about it. You see people often ask me how I measure success in ministry sadly because we have a tendency to measure the success of things by numbers or dollars. I’m writing to remind myself that I should be measuring the success of ministry by the depth of relationship I have with His people. Success is not whether we have seventy-five, a hundred, or even a hundred and fifty today in worship. It’s about this. It’s about knowing Him more. I believe with all my heart that there is a community of believers that know Him more because of our time here. Success is about drawing close to Him and His people. Yet sadly enough the relationships that make a ministry so healthy and meaningful are the very thing that make our last day here hurt the most…

3 comments:

Marie said... @ July 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Praying for you and your family as you step out in faith. Our big God will continue to do big things through you. The Isoms love you and will miss you!

Anonymous said... @ July 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Ah, but the first day...

The day anticipated by a tiny group of folks under an open sided tent with a lumpy floor. A building that may look makeshift, but if you look closely you can see the hours and days of volunteers. You can hear the laughter of folks working together in their after work hours.

This place has drawn me over the past year. It's on the way to the dump; my twice weekly chore. (You do meet some interesting folks at the Kona dump). It actually isn't exactly on the way; you have to take a small detour and u-turn at the end of the street.

We have yearned for a pastor who understands the value of building healthy relationships. We have struggled and prayed and finally broke free to begin "shopping" for a new church home. We determined to look for a healthy church, so off we went. (It's odd, but after 25 years, serving in several churches, we STILL don't like being asked to stand up and introduce ourselves on our first Sunday. Maybe that's just us). So Cornerstone came up third on the list. (I had secretly been very curious, having made that U Turn several times, and wanted to check out Cornerstone sooner, but my wife knew nothing of this. It was a feeling, a whisper, the kind of thing that you just don't share. No explanation,
and it doesn't really make any sense whatsoever).

Everybody was aware of a new car in the tiny parking lot. Folks introduced themselves in a very sweet way, a bit shy but genuinely interested. We did not feel pounced upon. Music is very important to us. The worship team is, well, a work in progress. Had to make a lunch date, so felt bad about turning down the after church pot-luck invitation. My wife explained; "We have to go back so they know we didn't run off because we don't like them". OK with me.

Should mention we have an odd dyslexia. We are drawn to churches who need help. We have visited several good, healthy churches here in Kona. They are doing just fine. We could easily sit and soak, but that's just not us. Our problem, our disability.

It was on the 2nd visit we actually were given a bulletin (that we actually kept) asking for prayer for the new Pastor and family. The new guy from the mainland. Just curious, I googled your name. Listened to your teaching, read this blog. Now that's a long explanation to get to the point.

You have no idea how exciting your first day is to people you haven't even met. Just guessing, but there are likely many, many hours of prayer involved in transporting you and your family here. I do not know if the events of the past couple years in my life were God's way of preparing us for service at Cornerstone, but I do know there's a quiver of excitement in my heart when I think of the potential impact of that little church under the tent. We are exceedingly excited about your first Sunday, and are watching in anticipation of what the Lord has in mind. And we ARE NOT regular attenders or members. How does that work? How come we, (just strangers, actually) are excitedly watching this drama unfold?

Just imagine the hearts of the people who have faithfully labored at Cornerstone for years. Yes, there is pain in parting. Yes, that last day is painful, yet sweet and rich. But look, just over the mountain, look at the lives, the families, the relationships that God has placed before you.

And it all starts on that first day.

Korey Buchanek said... @ August 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Thanks Larry, I wish I would have seen this response sooner. Once again you have encouraged my spirit. Thanks brother.

Marie, we appreciate your prayers as the Lord uses us in this new chapter. I miss you guys too.

Post a Comment